29 April 2008

the light grows brighter...

...the one at the end of the tunnel, that is.

I know, I'm a horrible blogger. It's not that I don't care.. it's just often a choice between sleep and blogging.. and sleep pretty much always wins.

After an absolutely horrid week last week, the weekend had some definite bright spots.. and this week is rapidly drawing to a close as well. With exception of my jazz jury next week, by noon on Friday, I will be FINISHED for the semester. And with class, forever. Only a thesis and a music history exam stand between me and that inordinately expensive piece of paper that will be my SMU diploma. I guess it was worth it? I've learned a lot about myself, for sure, and picked up some practical tools for my musicians toolbox. I've learned a lot about how God speaks and moves in my life through the people in my life. I will say that working full time while trying to get a masters degree is NOT a good idea. Even though I am blessed with an employer that allowed me the flexibility to come and go to class as needed, it definitely took a toll on me. I am looking forward to "just" working.. to have my evenings to do with as I choose.. to be able to keep a clean apartment not strewn with books and large stacks of paper.. to actually have hobbies again! I have so missed cooking and taking pictures and dancing and movies.. and mostly, to be able to focus on those I care about.. my family and friends. I know my attention has been pretty divided these past two years.. trying to keep up with it all. It feels good to pare down the scale a little bit. I know I'm a glutton for punishment, and tend to be super busy all the time.. but at least now I can be busy with things I love, instead of things I love to hate.

So, here's to Friday, and the beginning of the end of this chapter. It's kind of weird to think about it like that, actually. It's been an odd experience, being fully in the "working world" while still lingering in academia.. but I'm glad it's time to move on. I'm more than ready to turn the page and see where God will lead me next.

Happy Wednesday (almost) to you all! The week is half over. And Summer draws near.. (the honeysuckle blooming outside my front door is a testament to that!) so keep smiling!

2 comments:

fairest blonde said...

you are a terrible bloggers. it's been over two months!!

fairest blonde said...

uhmmm because u have a JOB